The energy problem, environmental and health issues, as well as the recent economic struggles pose major challenges for current societies. Catalysis and materials science can play a major role in overcoming such challenges with the engineering of tailored materials suitable for applications such as the conversion of renewable feedstocks into chemicals and fuels, the storage of hydrogen, or the utilisation of CO2. Such applications are key in the development of efficient technologies and the improvement of the quality of life.
Our research efforts aim towards obtaining a fundamental understanding of the underlying physico-chemical processes during catalysis and materials synthesis. We use multiscale computational methods to model, simulate and predict the properties of materials for desired applications.
Click to display older news items.
- 30/06/2014 - Michail and Matt presented at the "15th International Conference on Theoretical Aspects of Catalysis (ICTAC15)" organised by the Thomas Young Centre.
- 26/06/2014 - Michail's Leverhulme Trust proposal "Accurate and Computationally Efficient Models for Virtual Catalyst Design" has been successful!
- 02/06/2014 - Michail delivered an invited talk at the "International Workshop of Computational Nano-Materials Design on Green Energy" at Osaka University, Japan.
- 27/05/2014 - Michail and Simone's paper on CO Oxidation on Pd(111) is published at ACS Catalysis. Simone visited our lab last year (on 15 June 2013) when we started the collaboration on this project.
- 26/03/2014 - Michail's eCSE proposal "Zacros Software Package Development: Pushing the Frontiers of Kinetic Monte Carlo Simulation in Catalysis", in collaboration with the Research Software Development Team (Dr James Hetherington, co-I) and Research Computing Platforms (Dr Bruno Silva, co-I), has been successful!
- 12/12/2013 - Our article in the Journal of Chemical Physics is published online. This work introduces Graph-Theoretical KMC simulations incorporating cluster expansion Hamiltonians for the lattice energetics.
- 04/11/2013 - Michail presented at the 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting in the following sessions: Computational Catalysis IV, Recent Advances in Molecular Simulation Methods II, and Paradigms in Systems Biology - Session II.
- 21/10/2013 - Zacros, our KMC software package is available for download from e-Lucid, the UCL Online Licensing Portal.
- 11/10/2013 - Michail is identified as one of the Top Reviewers for Computers & Chemical Engineering in 2012-2013, "in recognition of an outstanding contribution to the quality of the journal".
- 05/10/2013 - Michail co-authors article in the Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience with Dr. Giannis Mpourmpakis on the adsorption behaviour of clusters and alloys of the d10 noble metals (Cu, Ag, Au).
- 19/09/2013 - Victor graduates, receiving his M.Sc. with distinction. Congratulations Victor!
- 16/09/2013 - Matt Darby (M.Sc. 2013, University of Bristol, Chemistry) joins the lab for his Ph.D. studies. Welcome, Matt!
- 09/09/2013 - Ryan Arevalo from Osaka University, Japan, visits our lab as a TYC Junior Research Fellow, to study the kinetics of borohydride oxidation on metal surfaces. This study will provide insight in the development of fuel cells for portable applications. Welcome, Ryan!
- 27/08/2013 - Michail co-authors ACS Catalysis article with Prof. Dionisios G. Vlachos (University of Delaware) about a Ni/Pt bimetallic catalyst for ammonia decomposition.
- 04/07/2013 - Efthymios successfully defends his Diploma thesis at the National Technical University of Athens. Congratulations, Efthymios!
- 15/06/2013 - Dr Simone Piccinin from Istituto Officina dei Materiali (CNR-IOM), Italy, visits our lab to foster a collaboration aiming at studying CO oxidation dynamics on Pd(111). Welcome, Simone!
- 24/05/2013 - Efthymios receives the first prize for his Diploma thesis oral presentation at the 9th Panhellenic Conference in Chemical Engineering. Congratulations, Efthymios!
- 22/05/2013 - Fernando, Ketan and Akash successfully defend their MEng theses. Congratulations, everyone!
- 21/05/2013 - Saeed successfully defends his MEng thesis. Congratulations, Saeed!
- 21/04/2013 - Michail co-authors Nature Materials article with Prof. Charlie Sykes (Tufts University), on H2 adsorption and spillover on a Pd/Cu catalyst.
- 18/04/2013 - Michail presents at the TYC International Advisory Board Review Poster Session.
- 25/03/2013 - Michail presents at the ChemEng Day UK Conference.
- 04/03/2013 - Efthymios Ioannidis visits UCL for undergraduate research through the Erasmus programme.
- 12/10/2012 - Saeed Akbari-Kamrani, Fernando Ruscillo, Ketan Kumar and Akash Vijayakumar join the lab as M.Eng. students. Welcome everyone!
- 03/10/2012 - Victor Nnamdi Emenike joins the lab as an M.Sc. student. Welcome Victor!
- 01/08/2012 - Michail Stamatakis joins the UCL Chemical Engineering Department as a Lecturer.
Designed by M. S. 04-Apr-2013 | Updated 21-Jul-2013.