The energy problem, environmental and health issues, as well as the recent economic struggles pose major challenges for current societies. Catalysis and materials science can play a major role in overcoming such challenges with the engineering of tailored materials suitable for applications such as the conversion of renewable feedstocks into chemicals and fuels, the storage of hydrogen, or the utilisation of CO2. Such applications are key in the development of efficient technologies and the improvement of the quality of life.
Our research efforts aim towards obtaining a fundamental understanding of the underlying physico-chemical processes during catalysis and materials synthesis. We use multiscale computational methods to model, simulate and predict the properties of materials for desired applications.
- 08/04/2015 - Richard Baochang Wang (Ph.D. 2014, Royal Institute of Technology Sweden, Materials Science) joins the lab for Post-Doctoral research. Welcome, Baochang!
- 09/03/2015 - Michail delivered an invited seminar at Technische Universität Braunschweig, Germany.
Click to display older news items.
- 12/02/2015 - Michail delivered an invited seminar at the International Max Planck Research School Functional Interfaces in Physics and Chemistry, Workshop “ Micro to Macro”, held in Schloss Ringberg, Kreuth, Germany.
- 09/01/2015 - Michail delivered a talk at the Inaugural UK Catalysis Conference 2015, held in Loughborough, UK, about "Coverage Effects for the CO Oxidation Reaction on O-Rich Pd(111)".
- 09/12/2014 - Our article in Catalysis Science & Technology was featured on the cover of January's issue.
- 17/11/2014 - Matt and Michail delivered two talks at the 2014 AIChE Annual Meeting held in Atlanda, GA, USA:
"Ab Initio Kinetic Monte Carlo Simulations of H2 Spillover Control on a Bimetallic Catalyst"
"CO Oxidation on O-Rich Pd(111): How Does Adlayer Structure Affect Reactivity?"
- 13/11/2014 - Michail authors invited review article for the Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter on the kinetic modelling of heterogeneous catalytic systems.
- 10/11/2014 - Michail co-authors article in Catalysis Science & Technology with Dr. Giannis Mpourmpakis and Prof. Dionisios Vlachos on the catalytic behaviour of Au nanoclusters towards CO oxidation.
- 23/10/2014 - Michail delivered an invited seminar at the Centre Blaise Pascal at École Normale Supérieure de Lyon.
- 21/10/2014 - Michail delivered an invited seminar at the School of Chemical Engineering and Advanced Materials at Newcastle University.
- 18/09/2014 - Matt won the best poster award at the Applied Catalysis and Reaction Engineering IChemE - RSC Conference, where he presented his work on "Ab initio Kinetic Monte Carlo Simulations for Hydrogen Spillover Control on a Bimetallic Surface". Congratulations Matt!
- 08/09/2014 - Dr Alexander Genest and Dr Suwit Suthirakun visited our lab from Prof. Notker Rösch's lab at the Institute of High Performance Computing, Agency for Science Technology and Research (A*STAR), Singapore.
- 25/08/2014 - Michail delivered an invited talk at the Workshop: "From the chemical bond to the chemical plant: Computational and Materials challenges in gas conversion technologies", held at the Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) in Bangalore, India.
- 31/07/2014 - Recent Appointees in Materials Modelling 2014 Conference. A two-day event, co-organised by Michail and colleagues from Imperial and King's College London.
- 30/06/2014 - Michail and Matt presented at the "15th International Conference on Theoretical Aspects of Catalysis (ICTAC15)" organised by the Thomas Young Centre.
- 26/06/2014 - Michail's Leverhulme Trust proposal "Accurate and Computationally Efficient Models for Virtual Catalyst Design" has been successful!
- 02/06/2014 - Michail delivered an invited talk at the "International Workshop of Computational Nano-Materials Design on Green Energy" at Osaka University, Japan.
- 27/05/2014 - Michail and Simone's paper on CO Oxidation on Pd(111) is published at ACS Catalysis. Simone visited our lab last year (on 15 June 2013) when we started the collaboration on this project.
- 26/03/2014 - Michail's eCSE proposal "Zacros Software Package Development: Pushing the Frontiers of Kinetic Monte Carlo Simulation in Catalysis", in collaboration with the Research Software Development Team (Dr James Hetherington, co-I) and Research Computing Platforms (Dr Bruno Silva, co-I), has been successful!
- 12/12/2013 - Our article in the Journal of Chemical Physics is published online. This work introduces Graph-Theoretical KMC simulations incorporating cluster expansion Hamiltonians for the lattice energetics.
- 04/11/2013 - Michail presented at the 2013 AIChE Annual Meeting in the following sessions: Computational Catalysis IV, Recent Advances in Molecular Simulation Methods II, and Paradigms in Systems Biology - Session II.
- 21/10/2013 - Zacros, our KMC software package is available for download from e-Lucid, the UCL Online Licensing Portal.
- 11/10/2013 - Michail is identified as one of the Top Reviewers for Computers & Chemical Engineering in 2012-2013, "in recognition of an outstanding contribution to the quality of the journal".
- 05/10/2013 - Michail co-authors article in the Journal of Computational and Theoretical Nanoscience with Dr. Giannis Mpourmpakis on the adsorption behaviour of clusters and alloys of the d10 noble metals (Cu, Ag, Au).
- 19/09/2013 - Victor graduates, receiving his M.Sc. with distinction. Congratulations Victor!
- 16/09/2013 - Matt Darby (M.Sc. 2013, University of Bristol, Chemistry) joins the lab for his Ph.D. studies. Welcome, Matt!
- 09/09/2013 - Ryan Arevalo from Osaka University, Japan, visits our lab as a TYC Junior Research Fellow, to study the kinetics of borohydride oxidation on metal surfaces. This study will provide insight in the development of fuel cells for portable applications. Welcome, Ryan!
- 27/08/2013 - Michail co-authors ACS Catalysis article with Prof. Dionisios G. Vlachos (University of Delaware) about a Ni/Pt bimetallic catalyst for ammonia decomposition.
- 04/07/2013 - Efthymios successfully defends his Diploma thesis at the National Technical University of Athens. Congratulations, Efthymios!
- 15/06/2013 - Dr Simone Piccinin from Istituto Officina dei Materiali (CNR-IOM), Italy, visits our lab to foster a collaboration aiming at studying CO oxidation dynamics on Pd(111). Welcome, Simone!
- 24/05/2013 - Efthymios receives the first prize for his Diploma thesis oral presentation at the 9th Panhellenic Conference in Chemical Engineering. Congratulations, Efthymios!
- 22/05/2013 - Fernando, Ketan and Akash successfully defend their MEng theses. Congratulations, everyone!
- 21/05/2013 - Saeed successfully defends his MEng thesis. Congratulations, Saeed!
- 21/04/2013 - Michail co-authors Nature Materials article with Prof. Charlie Sykes (Tufts University), on H2 adsorption and spillover on a Pd/Cu catalyst.
- 18/04/2013 - Michail presents at the TYC International Advisory Board Review Poster Session.
- 25/03/2013 - Michail presents at the ChemEng Day UK Conference.
- 04/03/2013 - Efthymios Ioannidis visits UCL for undergraduate research through the Erasmus programme.
- 12/10/2012 - Saeed Akbari-Kamrani, Fernando Ruscillo, Ketan Kumar and Akash Vijayakumar join the lab as M.Eng. students. Welcome everyone!
- 03/10/2012 - Victor Nnamdi Emenike joins the lab as an M.Sc. student. Welcome Victor!
- 01/08/2012 - Michail Stamatakis joins the UCL Chemical Engineering Department as a Lecturer.
Designed by M. S. 04-Apr-2013 | Updated 21-Jul-2013.