- Email: g.savini (at) ucl.ac.uk (preferred)
- Tel: +44 (0)20 76797788
- Office location: G10 - Kathleen Lonsdale Building - Gower Place
- Postal Address: Dep. of Physics and Astronomy, University College London, London WC1E 6BT, UK
- Location Map
My work falls mainly in the field of THz and Sub-mm Astronomy Instrumentation (optics).
I am a member of the
Optical Science Laboratory (OSL) in the Astrophysics Group
within UCL's Department of Physics and Astronomy.
Brief Curriculum Vitae :
- Laurea (Master) in Physics and PhD in Astronomy, Universita' di Roma "La Sapienza", 2001 & 2005
- Postdoctoral Research Associate, Cardiff University, 2004-2008
- Lecturer, UCL, Physics and Astronomy, 2009-2013
- Reader, UCL, Physics and Astronomy, 2013-Present
- Design, modeling and calibration of optical elements for near-, mid- and far- infrared (sub-mm) astronomical instrumentation.
- Design of next-generation optical components with artificially engineered materials
- Modelling and build of polarisation modulator elements (Half-Wave Plates)
- Design/Modelling of future infrared satellite instrument concepts (spectrometry, polarimetry, interferometry, double Fourier Modulation)
A new artificial material approach for flat THz frequency lenses|
Past and Current Projects, Experiments and Collaborations.
Planck ESA Mission
Image Credits: ESA and the HFI
Image Credits: ESA and the
Image Credits: BlastPol Collaboration &
D. Wiebe, University of Toronto
Image Credits: G.Savini
(see linked page for individual image credits)
Click on the pictures to be re-directed to the projects in which I am currently involved.
(As this website is work in progress I apologize for any broken or yet not active link)|
2013/2014 - Term 1: 3rd Yr Labs (PHAS3440) (with experiments ranging from Compton Scattering to X-ray
Diffraction and spectroscopy, Frustrated Total Internal Reflection, Scanning Tunnelling Microscopes, Measurement of the
Zeeman Effect, determining Stefan-Boltzman Law with a thermal camera, Muon Lifetime, and Laser Spectroscopy.
2013/2014 - Term 1: also PST (Problem Solving Tutorials) for 2nd Yr Electromagnetism (PHAS2201).
2012/2013 - Term 2: 2nd Yr IDL Computing for Astronomers (Computing element of PHAS2130)
I get to work around 10 x 3.5 hour sessions to take 2nd yr astro students as deep into computing
for the purpose of astronomy data processing as possible, with a number of themes dependent on their project orientation.
Student Projects (Assigned and Available - No links): (assigned) Physics: Design of a Thermal Double-Fourier Modulator.
(available) Astro (4th Yr): "Watts in Space" a detailed atlas of how things get heated in space.
(assigned) MSc : Optical black holes in the lab.
(collab.Surrey Univ.) MSc Physics: Radiation damage on infrared fibers and polymer optics for far infrared instrumentation for space satellites.
Current Post-Graduate Students: (3rd Yr) Ms Roser Juanola-Parramon : "An Instrument Simulator for the Far InfraRed Interferometer."
(2nd Yr) Mr Paul Moseley : "Modelling techniques for Novel optical components in the sub-THz domain."
(1st Yr): Mr Nicola Baccichet : "Next Generation calibration sources for future infrared satellites.
You can find all co-authored pubblications (refereed or not) for the last 5 years here (the search unfortunately includes pubblications on graphite from homonymous researcher).
Main Recent Publications:
- Latest Planck Results, Planck Collaboration, Astronomy \& Astrophysics
- "Lensters" at mm-wave frequencies., P.Moseley, G.Savini, P.Ade, J.Zhang, E.Saenz, Proc. of EUCAP 2013.
- "Coated dieletric lens design, modelling and measurements for future CMB polarimetry missions., P.Hargrave, G.Savini, N.Trappe, A.Challinor, S.Sorensen, P.Ade, R.Sudiwala, I.Walker, M.Gradziel, M.Van der Vorst Proc. of EUCAP 2013.
- 2012 Planck Results, Planck Collaboration, Astronomy \& Astrophysics
- A new artificial material approach for flat THz frequency lenses, Savini, G., Ade, P. and Zhang, J., Optics Express, Volume 20, Issue 23, pp. 25766-25773.
- Demonstration of spectral and spatial interferometry at THz frequencies, Grainger, W., Juanola-Parramon, R., Ade, P., Liggins, F., Pascale, E., Savini, G., Swinyard, B., Applied Optics, Volume 51, Issue 12, pp. 2202-2211.
- 2011 Planck Results, Planck Collaboration, Astronomy \& Astrophysics
Polypropylene embedded metal mesh broadband achromatic half-wave plate for millimeter wavelengths,
Zhang, J., Ade, P., Mauskopf, P., Savini, G. , Moncelsi, L., Whitehouse, N. Applied Optics, Volume 50, Issue 21, p.3750-3757.
Astrophysics - Short Term Visitors Programme:
For my sins I am responsible of the Group A (Astrophysics) Short Term Visitors Grant.
This provides a limited amount of support to invite collaborators to visit the group for a short period in order to initiate or finalize a collaboration or specific work.
Last General Update: October 2013 by G. Savini
University College London - Gower Street - London - WC1E 6BT - +44 (0)20 7679 2000 - Copyright © 1999-2010 UCL